Finally after all these years, I've actually got round to starting my new bench. It's always been on my To-do list but as many of you will know when as you go through your married life, mortgage, kids car repairs you know the usual, a luxury like a cabinet makers bench just gets shoved to one side.
|off cuts left for tail vices etc|
First I'll tell you a little about the bench I intend to make, I want to keep it as traditional as possible, but, with a difference, I am in desperate need of tool storage space and extra vices fitted.
I like to work around my bench from both sides and from the ends at times depending on what I'm working on. I've been pondering different designer bench now for some time My bench will be sort of a Heinz 57 version of some ideas pinched from them all with a few ideas of my own worked into the build as it progresses.
The new bench will have two York (tail vices) and one York shoulder vice, a line of dog holes along both edges and possible other dogs hole across the bench top for cramping purposes.
This morning I made a start and machined the core for the top, the pieces are temporarily clamped together overnight.
|core boards cut marked for biscuits|
I decided to build the top from American Oak ( just my choice) no other reason, with a softwood base (still to be sourced), the carcase for the tools stowage to be made out of 18mm and drawers from 12mm birch ply.
Last week I sourced some nice American Oak pieces 2 @ 3.6m x 195mm x 80mm plenty enough to make the top from, overall sizes approximately 2m x 600mm with the core of the top being 50mm thick, the edge skirt somewhere about 70mm to give that extra thick look, the oak arrived yesterday.
|waiting for assemble|
I ordered the ironwork from Axminster tools for the bench, as mentioned above but these are out of stock till next week , but, that's not problem at the moment for me.
|biscuits glued and waiting for assemble|
25/11/2012 End of day today all 264 biscuits cuts machined out and ready for gluing, I only have eight sash cramps, so I'm going to glue the core boards up in pairs when I have three pairs all glued then I will glue the first pair and second pair together, when there set, I'll glue the last pair to the first four boards this then forms the main core to the bench top.
|1st boards glued|
Please note, the biscuits cuts to the outer edge of the 1st boards this will be to glue the skirts around the main bench top core to house the dog holes, this I will deal with later in the thread.
26/11/2012 Showing in the foreground the second pair just glued up on top yesterdays pair in the back ground the last pair later today or early tomorrow maybe, 22 biscuits in a double row it takes quite a lot of pressure to cramp these together.
27/11/2012 As seen above the final pair of core boards now glue together plus day 1 and 2 also tomorrow the final glueing to the core boards.
I'm not going to machine the core top to it's final finished level yet till its fixed to the base unit, I'll deal with that later in this thread. Tomorrow I'll start machining the side skirt boards for the dog holes etc.
First casualty today oops, as seen in the above last photo just giving that extra squeeze in the final cramping and ping, totally knackered one of a set of eight, bummer Grr.
28/11/2012 Today another casualty a second clamp broke not one of those I used yesterday but one of the heavy duty cast iron one as used in the lower picture suddenly a chunk of cast iron flew off t the back end of the shoe ,it's still usable as yet not sure how badly damaged the clamp is till I remove it tomorrow.
All the core board to the top are now glued together, remove clamps tomorrow and start a cutting list for the skirt and various parts for the vices, got an e mail to day telling there's a three week wait for the iron monger y on all three vices, now that could be a nuisance.
01/12/2012 Today, ooh... it was colder in theworkshop this morning than it was outside, I waiting for a few hours till the sun moved round and warmed things up a bit still cold in the workshop but not so bad when you got going. Machined the side skirts and boards for the dog hole. 02/12/2012 I machined the side skirt today, cut all mitres and machined a load more biscuit cuts, ended the day with a dry dummy run fitting the skirt boards to one side of the bench. I machined out the groove for the tail vice guide.
Here are both the York tail vice. I have never fitted one of these so I had better do some research first It's quiet a complicated vice to manufacture and assemble, although fitting the iron work I think should be straight forwards enough.
The Chinese engineering on these thread screws are to a very high standard I'm very impressed with them. Next to follow a shoulder vice screw thread again never fitted one but I feel it's a straight forwards to fit as well.
Also ordered at the same time some bed furniture bolts which the photo explains what there intended for.
Ok it's back to the workshop this afternoon after the Christmas and new year festivities.
I made as start as seen in the above photo on the bed bolts to hold the oak carrier that will do several things really ie to help hold the bench top flat when fully glued, it primary use is to form part of the vice on the corner of the bench, as seen in the last photo it still only a dummy run, those four biscuits will be fitted above the four bolts when all is glued together I used the same centre line to line everything up nicely. I'll start on the same piece on the other end of the bench tomorrow.
As you can also see from the last photo the oak carrier has been left long, the reason being that end will also form part of the tail vice itself, it will have a tenon cut onto it which will be running through a groove to help slide and hold in place the tail vice at the correct level/height to the bench top, (more on that later in the thread.)