chest in it is where i found an old Henry Disston D8 handsaw with a broken handle £3 a bargain.
I went back the following day and bought the chest £20, when I got it home and stripped all the material cloth that had been stuck on it, I soon realised it was a very old cabinet makers chest probable well over a hundred years old and it was in a very poor damaged condition and really needed to be rebuilt to make anything from, hm not amused it was really past the point of no return.
The top lid was missing just an old piece of plywood covered both sides with green corded cloth , down one side the boards were damaged and the joints were no longer glued together, a split along the front face just under the lock as well by now after seeing it stripped to the bare bones I was disappointed with it and left it in the corner of the work shop till now.
Over the years my tools requirement has just grown and grown with all the different trade skills I acquired along the way. Now that my workshop is being closed down pending our move, and the tools are no longer hanging up, or, on shelve and in cupboards etc etc. I have to pack them away ready for when we get to our new home. Almost certainly the first set of tools that I will be using when we arrive will be my painting and decorating tools, now there all gathered together I suddenly have four boxes of tools, storage space in the removal van and in the storage unit when we get there will be limited, it one of those times in life I have to be brutal, If I can do without it it going to be sold, or, dumped.
Four boxes of tools needed to be shrunk down into one box, yep you got it, now am I clad I kept that old cabinet maker tool chest.
I decided it was not going to be a top notch refurbishment back to an A1 conditioned Cabinet Makers chest again, just as long as I could salvage enough to make a working tool box just for long enough to get out new home set up that would be fine.
First I reduced its height by almost 3 " a lot of damage around the chest lock and it did away with that hideous lid. I then cut a new top screwed and glued it on to the base making a complete box and then cut a new 3" lid out of the box and hinged it using three 3 " hinges.
Next because it had been covered in material all the traditional skirting boards were missing, These are normally 3 - 4" In depth but because of damage to the lower section of the box I decided the easiest thing to do was to make them extra deep this time around to cover up a multitude of sins.
The rest really was all painting and fixing some cheap aluminium angles around the lid top for protection. First a grey undercoat and then a tradition black gloss. I must admit It look OK, not perfect but for a storage tool box it will do.
Luckily I have all three sliding drawers all in reasonable condition there a bit scratched and have a few dings in them from many many years of use but not enough to require any work to them .
The paint is dry enough to start handling now it time to clean all of the tools oil them and packed away for a period of storage ready for when I need them again.
In the first drawer is stored various colored silicone tubes sanding pads a broad knife for corking tape joints etc etc
The second drawer holds thing like varnish brush and glass scrapper and several different scissors, uses vary from carpet cutting to general workshop use, paper hanging and small pair of upholsterers scissors plus some extra silicone nozzles.
I also have my trade tin where I store all my brushes that are used for oil based paints, some of you may have noticed I have some brushes stored in the tool chest these are water based brushes for varnishes or emulsions never put these in the trade tin.
Well there you go, an old tool chest saved from the knackers yard refurbished now to a working life again hopefully for many years. ENJOY.