Sunday, 27 October 2013

New handle for Henry Disston D8


I bought this lovely old beauty recently while mooching around in  Joseph weld  charity shop a few weeks ago here in Weymouth Dorset, £3 that was a bargain.

They had what looked like an old  Ottoman, I just happened to lift  the lid (you know as you do)  just being nosy, really expecting to find it empty, or, find it full of sheet and blankets,  To my surprise  it was an  old carpenters chest  which had been covered to look like an Ottoman, still had all the sliding draws etc,  and full of bit of junk that accumulate in them over the years, most of the tools were already gone.

I couldn't resist a rummage in the bottom of it, buried  right at the bottom was this lovely old saw a Henry Disston D8 handsaw with a broken handle.





The Blade was true and straight it had all it's teeth no broken or missing teeth either,  all cut evenly on both sides of the blade, the  handle was  badly broken, but that's  replaceable.


 
The medallion inlay ed in the side of the handle is readable and the date as shown is Dec 27th 1887 Philada  ( Philadelphia)

As can be seen from the lower  photo is the damaged handle, It could be repaired but I think its always going to be a weak point.

On my way back from returning my daughter and grandson  back to Bristol airport I popped into Yandles of Martock near Yeovil looking for some Apple wood for the new handle,  but never found any, Instead I came away with  plenty of Black walnut to do the job.

Monday tomorrow I'm taking the saw in to be re-cut set and sharpened, I use to do this my self  but the old eye site  not what it use to be.

I have had the handle off of this saw  from the shape of the end of the blade and positioning of the brass bolts  there is no way I can cut a simple slot into a new bloke of wood  and then slide the blade into for positioning  because of the rounded end to the blade.

I'm  going to laminate the new Handle  in four  thin section,   two either side then rebate  out from both sections sides  with a small router half the depth of the  thickness of the blade  to suit the shape of the end of the blade then laminate  both section together., But that's another post.  Stay tuned.


No comments: