Monday 26 April 2010

Dust extraction system DX5000

Hi all

This is my extraction system started the last yr, now just about finished all but for crossing the t.s and dotting the I.s

I wanted to get the best from my system, I didn't want to spend a heap of money and time fitting all this equipment and then not to be able to get the best from it, I first spent a heap of time planning where machines and pipe runs would go then slowly a plan came together, first I wanted as much suck as possible so decided to keep pipe runs to a minimum, but with each machine requiring a piped run to the blast chamber at first it was a nightmare I didn’t want all those pipes running overhead like a spiders web going off at all different directions from one blast chamber that you see in so many workshops. I decided on one hard pipe run feeding all machine, which in turn had to feed the two system that I had decided on, it would also mean a long length of pipe connecting all machine possible running from machine to machine, this I didn’t like either.

The system incorporates two sizes of pipework.

50mm for dust, 100mm for machinery.

50mm for hoovering and handheld power tools to cope with MDF dust, MDF is lethal, hence why I decided to design my own system in the first place.

This bought about my final plan to keep hard pipe runs to a bare minimum I decided to split the workshop down the length with machinery on one side and working area on the other, giving me what I wanted the shortest possible hard pipe run of 1.9m including the blast chamber, the air/lift for all debris/dust being a short distance of 800mm to the inlet port on the extractor.

In the blast chamber, there are three blast gates, the blast chamber is 600mm long from the left black blast gates to the right steel blast gate and there is one 50mm blast gate connected via the 50mm pipework which is 300mm above the 100mm hard pipework, plus one 50mm Hoover point.

I also designed it for a minimum lift for all wood debris & dust hence why I didn’t want to go overhead unless I really had to, and then (only) if it was to be sucking dust, so decided to drop as much pipework to within(600mm) from the floor level. (Minimum lift).

After I got to this stage I could not find a blast gate to fit the 50mm pipework So I set about designing and making my own blast gates, this is a good starting point for this Post.

50MM PVC BLAST GATES

All the 50mm blast gate were made from PVC piping which all came from a company called FLOPLAST here in Weymouth on the trading estate as did all the material for the 50mm and  100mm. I’m sure this product can be purchased elsewhere from your local dealer merchants.

The blast gates are made from two straight couplings, two short lengths of pipe, glue together and then glued into some off cut of 3/8” plywood left over from when I constructed my workshop, the short lengths of pipe are first glued into one end (only) of both couplings and then the coupling glue into the suction hole in the plywood which are shown as follows.

The glue used is just normal PVC piping glue (as shown below) the sort used to glue a sink wast or plumb in a washing machine, (don't let anyone tell you it won't stick, believe me, it does)on plywood, not sure how it would work on MDF seeing that a bit oily, try it and let me know if it's OK.

LH photo showing a short length of pipework before glueing. RH photo Showing suction hole

Photobucket Photobucket

LH photo Showing glue bottle and hand grips to be glued. RH photo The dark areas are wet glue beforehand grips were the glue

Photobucket Photobucket

LH photo here shown with a double hand grips (inner)open/closed stops (outer) push/pull hand grips glued in position, but that was changed, I didn’t like it, so I cut off the outer hand push/pulls grips and combined the two remaining open/closed stops into hand grips as well, dual-purpose, all the other gates were then made this way.

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

The metal strip is shown on edge of a completed blast gate so it can be fixed to the wall and secure pipework in position.

These two photos here show the blast gates in the vertical position closed and opened, just kept simple with a length of cord and a screw, or dowel rod glued into MDF.

Photobucket Photobucket

These shots are showing the assemble blast gates from various views.

PhotobucketPhotobucket

That just about covers how I went about making these blast gates.

The 100mm blast gates I decided to buy only because I could not find 100mm straight couplers at the time, and partly because of so many other things going on in my life at that time, but in hindsight, I wish I had researched for them a little longer. I used 100mm black plastic ones from AXMINSTER which also can be purchased from just about any good merchants, these get blocked with sawdust in the corners and then the gate won’t close properly so you lose suction, three has broken all replaced with metal blast gates.

50mm and 100mm ducting.

As mentioned, the main hard pipe machine ducting run is a total of 1.9m including the blast chamber of 600mm, so let’s start from the chamber and inlet pipe to the extraction inlet pipe which is 1.4 mm above floor level.

The three photos show the entire length of hard pipe ducting run (left) 1.1m. (Middle) is the blast chamber 600mm width 800mm height. (RH ) the entire lengths of hard pipe ducting run 1.9m including blast chamber.

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

FLEXI pipework.

From the blast gates, these run to all machines independently in 100mm Flexi.

Circular saw.

I have the saw mounted to on a turntable so no matter what position I lock the turntable in the Flexi remains connected at all times along with the overhead saw guard.

LH photo 90 degrees across the workshop. Rhphoto turned90degrees to the right

PhotobucketPhotobucket

Planer

This again has a 100mm pipe fitted permanently so I can easily change from overhead planing by simple opening the Planer beds and changing to thickness mode the Flexi length is 2.5m. I have stated that I split the workshop down the length with all machine to one side of the shop, not quite correct with the one exception of the band saw 100mm and 50 mm Hoover point which I had to go overhead with both pipes runs, this pipes can be seen rising vertically in the centre of the right-hand photo of the ducting hard pipe.

Photobucket Photobucket

50MM DUCTING

I fitted this for the extraction of dust from all power tools i.e.: router sanders and of course a Hoover system so I could get rid of all portable Hoovers and dust bucket plus leads and flexing pipes everywhere, I found this company CVCDIRECT and bought three Hoover socket and a seven-meter hose which when I plug into two of the sockets I can reach all corners of the shop from both sides of the shop for cleaning dust, the third socket still to be fitted which will be used outside the shop but plumbed through the wall into existing pipework, so on those warm sunny day when I get to work outside to work I can Hoover all the decks and keep them clean as well.

Showing pipe runs crossing the shop.

PhotobucketPhotobucket

Bits and bobs

Still to complete, the placement of a couple more rodding eyes in the 50mm system and the fitting of one more Hoover point.

Well guys and girls hope you have enjoyed and it may be of help to someone out there, I know I enjoyed putting it all together, it’s taken a long time and a lot of money but well worth the effort it’s now finally has come together.
Now, what do I do now, ah yes complete my infill planes, my tool cabinet, and then ah yes, start my new bench? hc




Hi matt

As promised, some photos of the parts you wanted to see,

Photobucket Photobucket

You will need the pipe shown on the (right) which is glued into the holder pipe (centre) which in turn is glued into the white 50mm ducting pipe

length of hose with some brushes

Photobucket Photobucket

with faceplate fitted, it just a tight push in with screw hole if needed, faceplate fitted to hose connection just a push-fit remove the faceplate to back holder and throw away

Photobucket Photobucket

first hoover point fitted into 50mm ducting run
in this photo, it shows two brass electric 12v point so if you want to connect it up, it will switch on the motor of hoover these were designed for when you plug in hose to socket.
Photobucket
and finally, hose plugged in. Hope this of some help to you.

No comments: