Saturday 9 July 2011

creusen bench grinder

This old bench grinder a Creusen NS 5215T: I have had now for more years than  I can remember, bought from Axminster tools in Axminster when they were in there original shop in the high street. Its never hand a great deal of use most of its use was in my jobbing days where it was set-up in the back of my van. Since I retired it's hardly seen any use at all, in fact, the right-hand wheel which is the water stone had seized up with rust from lack of use.

I have managed to free up the spindle so at least both wheels are now turning, Thought it's about time this machine had a complete strip apart and complete rebuild before I bring it into workshop use as I remember it was not a cheap grinder, seen here before work starts.




The above Photos show the grinder before during and after stripping, with one knackered wheel.

Below Shows grinder,  stripped gearbox reassembled temporarily + part awaiting  reassembly and paint




I have now been trying to source a new aluminium oxide wheel of 200mm x  40mm  with a bore of 15mm  with a grit of 220. after a lot of searching and questions I didn't find many that were  40mm wide and all had a  different bore size which in turn meant either use a spacer to make up the difference on the spindle or have the spindle turned down in size to fit the smaller bore, but more surprisingly the cost of the wheel varied from £62- £82  wow. On the cheaper end of the market, you can buy the entire machine for under £40 complete with wheels.

I have now been forced to rethink this refurbishment entirely, however, I have placed a  bid on a  Dakota wet stone grinder on e-bay, I still have a few options left open here but lets Waite see how that goes.

Well, I've had the  Dakota wet grinder know for some time,  I am very disappointed with it not what I expected at all,  Just not my idea of a wet grinder.

So back to my Ceusen time now to source another wet stone for that instead.




Here it is freshly painted, now awaiting a new wet wheel. I have decided to do away with the original grinding jigs it came with to much flex in them to hold the plane blade square to the grinding wheels, so have just ordered some new ones, but that another thread.

Finally, it's taken me over a year to track down this wheel,  while on holiday here in Holland with my daughter  I mentioned to Edwin her partner that I was still looking for my water-stone he very kindly rang Cruesen, I had told him  I had rung Creusen a year earlier only to be told sorry sir there obsolete, he rang them and was told certainly sir we have them in stock, Grrrrr,  but a very good price 37.50 euros it arrived yesterday,  they also supplied an address in England who I have also contacted, I have now placed an order for a second stone as well.

When I get it home fit it dress it off to get it true balance and then start to build all the new different grinding jigs around it, but as  I said that's another thread.



There it is fitted, awaiting some more jigs for completion, but as you have already guessed that another post. enjoy.


Martin

2 comments:

Simon said...

Hi, very nice job you did!
But can you tell me where you got the wet wheel from?
I inherited the same model and my wet wheel needs replacement.
I'm from Belgium, so it would be nice if I could find it without extra import costs ;-)

Martin said...

Hi Simon, thanks for the comment, yes the wet wheel came from
Axminster tools in Axminster Devon. they do have other branches
spread around the UK. It was also available in the Netherlands as it's
a Dutch company that made them. I'm afraid I don't remember the name
of the company though, which is where I bought my wheels from many
years ago. hope this may be of some help, good luck with your search,
let us all know how you get on.