Monday 1 August 2011

Scary sharp

Scary Sharpening.

The right-hand benchtop of the corner workstation is where all my sharpening/honing of chisels and plane irons + the honing of my planer knives will be done also the re-honing of blades that need just a quick touch up.

I placed a rubber grip mat on top of the bench then purchased some laminated 8mm  glass this works fine with no sliding movements, it was cut the full size of the bench with a 1" overhang to the front edge so when honing the back of the blade  I run my finger along under the glass to help steady the blade.   I have stuck  3M  lapping film on both sides one side is dry lapping on this side is 100microns  and 40m papers, I keep this side solely for honing plane soles and the like. The other side, when flipped over, is for wet lapping, honing and the final polish to the cutting edges this side has 40m, 30m, 5m.

Note the lapping film comes right to the edges of the laminated 8mm glass for easy honing of the back of blades etc. No oil is used only water, oil is too messy even when it wiped off the lapping film with a cloth it leaves the micro metal filing behind, water does not.



No comments: